Thursday, May 14, 2009


Graduation Project
November 1, 2008
A young friend, Ariel, asked me to mentor her Graduation Project. Of course, she was learning to make a quilt. What a fun experience it was for me. I hope it was for her too! She made a fairly complicated star pattern with about 50 stars and alternating blocks of pale plum fabric. The stars were a combination of batiks and true calico prints. It turned out very pretty and we quilted it on the machine frame very simply using the wineglass pattern.
I think she's proud of it, but even more glad to see it finished!
I love the quilting frame that holds my machine. It makes things go so fast. I hate the quilting frame that holds my machine. It makes things go so fast.
It seems the happiest moments for Ariel and myself were not at the frame, but when we finally had the binding on one side and were sitting across from one another with the quilt on our knees hand sewing that last side of the binding. It wasn't that we were almost finished, but because of the intimacy of this shared task that had to be slowly and carefully done.
I think I know now what quilting is about, at its heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment